ComicTagger Talk
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Any interest in a file renaming feature?

5 posters

Go down

Any interest in a file renaming feature? Empty Any interest in a file renaming feature?

Post  ComicTagger Mon Dec 10, 2012 8:26 pm

I already have a basic file-renaming feature in the CLI, and have been thinking of adding it to the GUI, initially in a single file version, and then in batch mode for a bulk operation.

The idea is use the metadata to create uniform filenames for easier organization.

For example, you might specify a template such as "%series% %issue% (%year%)" and then apply it across a folder of files.

Any interest in this? Thoughts and ideas?
ComicTagger
ComicTagger
Admin

https://comictagger.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Any interest in a file renaming feature? Empty Re: Any interest in a file renaming feature?

Post  600WPMPO Tue Dec 11, 2012 3:10 pm

I think this is a very good idea.

While renaming MP3 files, I use the excellent software "The Godfather". Maybe you can get a look at it & get some ideas for this.
600WPMPO
600WPMPO

Back to top Go down

Any interest in a file renaming feature? Empty Re: Any interest in a file renaming feature?

Post  DP812 Tue Dec 11, 2012 7:20 pm

Currently, I use a free program called Rename. It can be a bit time-consuming for smaller runs, but for larger ones (especially complete runs), it's been incredibly useful. Has options for serializing and adding prefixes, suffixes, etc.

DP812

Back to top Go down

Post  Phunetik Tue Dec 11, 2012 8:27 pm

This sounds awesome. I use automator for this, but I think this could be way better.
Phunetik
Phunetik

Back to top Go down

Post  ComicTagger Tue Dec 11, 2012 8:56 pm

I will check out these tools, thanks for the suggestions!

Honestly, the thing that has me balking at the batch features is the GUI design. Trying to get everything on the screen, having it be usable, and all the issues associated is no small task to do properly.

I'm a bit exhausted from the surge to create this app in the first place, so as I am reaching single-file mode feature-completion, there will probably a lull in development for a bit.
ComicTagger
ComicTagger
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Phunetik Tue Dec 11, 2012 10:41 pm

Bro, I understand... while it will disappoint those of us that are amped up and excited about this app, you are the one doing heavy lifting. I will ask that you just keep in mind when doing further development that - as awesome as this app is - it wont be a very efficient tool if the GUI does not support batch editing on multiple levels. It takes a good while to get through even one small series and even a casual digital comics collector/reader will want to do more than one issue at a time. Please don't take offense at that. Even in its state right now, I am so excited. Just my two cents. Im an Army Officer , so even my compliments come with a heavy helping of criticism. Smile You are making magic, man.
Phunetik
Phunetik

Back to top Go down

Post  theotocopulitos Thu Dec 13, 2012 8:56 am

Hi there.

First of all, thanks for getting into this! Regarding the issues of batch processing and of renaming, you could have a look for help/ideas at the two paramount comicrack scripts (coded in python!), the Comic Vine Scrapper and the Library Organizer (comicrack.cyolito.com/forum/13-scripts/11603-library-organizer-version-219-september-23-2012).

Cheers Wink

theotocopulitos

Back to top Go down

Post  ComicTagger Thu Dec 13, 2012 12:59 pm

Thanks, theotocopulitos!

I am aware of the excellent ComicVineScraper, but haven't played with the Library Organizer yet. I will check it out eventually.
ComicTagger
ComicTagger
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down