cbr vs cbz?

View previous topic View next topic Go down

cbr vs cbz?

Post  Phunetik on Fri Feb 01, 2013 10:11 pm

It seems that most in the scene consider cbz to be better than cbr? I am in the middle of converting all my of cbr files to cbz, but other than cbz seeming to be a bit larger, what is the difference? Why is cbz considered better? Why is comic tagger set up to accept cbz as opposed to cbr or bpth automatically? I dont really care, Im just curious, especially when it seems that cbr is what most files are in (I could be wrong, just the view from my foxhole)?
Phunetik

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: cbr vs cbz?

Post  DP812 on Sat Feb 02, 2013 1:24 am

From what I understand, RAR files (which is what CBR files are) are proprietary so you can't reliably write metadata to the files. So if you want tags in your comic files, it's best to use ZIP files (CBZ). That way, even if you move the files to another drive or need to remove and then re-add your comics to CBL, the tags will still be there.

I'm sure CT will correct me if I've gotten any of this wrong (or if there's more to it than my bare-bones explanation).

DP812

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  ComicTagger on Sun Feb 03, 2013 1:24 pm

DP has it more or less correct. The RAR/CBR format is a bit of a pain for developers since, while you can use the decompression for free, you need to pay if you want to include the compression in your app. That's why almost no comic apps will support the writing of CBR files. ComicTagger app gets around this by talking to the "rar" program direct from WinRAR, but it's really not an ideal solution.

Add to this that Python doesn't natively support RAR decompression/reading either, and I am using a third-party python library called py-unrar2 (http://code.google.com/p/py-unrar2/) to support this. Under Windows it works fairly well, since it's talking directly to a DLL, but under Unix systems like Mac and Linux, it's using the "unrar" program, and is a good bit slower to read a CBR vs a CBZ. And on the Mac, there are some issues with the way Python is talking to the external "unrar" programs (the "subprocess" module) that makes it even slower, since it often has to retry reads.

The main advantage of RAR vs ZIP is that you can often get a better compression ratio, around 10% better. But in the case of comic files, the images are *already* compressed, via JPEG or PNG formats, so you really don't gain much anyways, since you can only compress information so much.

But for my money RAR is just not worth it in this context. Since I've taken on the project, I've converted my own library over to CBZ. I only wish people stopped using RAR altogether when creating new archives!
ComicTagger
Admin

View user profile http://comictagger.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post  DP812 on Sun Feb 03, 2013 6:38 pm

CBR is such a pain, I also wish they'd get with it and stop using it. But it seems like a similar thing to the people who use MKV over AVI. It's a pain in the ass for everyone else, but they still do it any way. And I also wish CBL would implement a decent CBR-CBZ converter, because Jomic's GUI isn't as intuitive as I'd like (no drag and drop, no option for replacing the CBRs with the converted CBZs, etc).

DP812

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  anomander on Fri Mar 29, 2013 2:35 am

I have never seen a single real plus point of CBR but they seem to be prevalent. Ok to be fair those that consider maximum compression used to have a case with rar being a tiny bit better than zip but using that argument cb7 should win. I also argue that the days where saving 1GB per 100GB are gone and speed of load on slower devices is more important i.e no compression at all. IMO that means CBR contains only negative points and zero positives.

Devils argument; CT should only work with CBZ and offer auto convert to CBR etc.

Lead from the front, down with cbr :lol
anomander

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum